ZGtl44C2CsEptEcg6yf68VXv1Cs Tips on how to be a successful real estate agent here in the Philippines: Tips on how to be a successful real estate agent here in the Philippines – Avoid some people wasting your time.

Friday, September 21, 2012

Tips on how to be a successful real estate agent here in the Philippines – Avoid some people wasting your time.

Are there people just wasting your time and money?

As a real estate agent here in the Philippines, I value my time, I really do and I mean it. I don’t want others wasting my time and I’m sure these people also don’t want others to waste their time.

This is were I sympathized with my co-agents and even brokers because there are some people who have nothing to do in life and then pretend to be buyers and then ask for a viewing schedule for the intent purpose only of viewing the place and nothing more.

I would like to re-iterate here that there are real buyers but not “immediate buyers” or not in their “decision stage” yet and there are pretending buyers.

When I was starting my career as a real estate agent here in the Philippines I also committed the mistake of not asking the hard / tough questions to people who are inquiring that’s why in the end I wasted my time and money.

Every one who called I entertained (viewing) and at the end I wasted most of my time and money.

As a cardinal rule don’t assume that everyone who calls and inquires a property is a buyer.

As a real estate agent, asked questions, probe the client if he / she is really an “immediate buyer” or “planning to buy” but don’t have plans yet.

When I say “immediate buyer” it doesn’t mean outright but at least the client already has a concrete plan like example “buying next month”.

Did you know that turning down a caller sometime is the right thing to do?

As a real estate agent here in the Philippines, I’ve turned down several calls because I know it is the right thing to do and because I don’t want the caller to waste my time.

Base on my experienced as a real estate agent, here are the kinds of callers I usually turn down for viewing or re-schedule a viewing ones there’s already a clear plan by the buyer.

  • People who call and said that they are already in the location and want to see my listings. What fascinates me is these kinds of people don’t schedule the viewing ahead of time, no initial calls whatsoever and then they will call and telling me that they are already in the vicinity. 100% I usually turn down these kind of callers
  • If you are into project selling then the best thing to do is just refer your caller to your co-agents if the agent is at the site or if no one you know is at the site and you are somewhere else then just tell the caller to look for another agent at the site. Believe me this kind of deals more often don’t work. Don’t think about it; don’t waste your time worrying this kind of situation. You will have better deals ahead.

    But like me, most of my listings are re-sale or individual owned homes, and when they say they are in the vicinity I just tell them viewing is by appointment and I don’t give the exact address. I don’t even think that this is a good deal or this will come up into a sale. Buying a home is a process and it’s not like a snap of finger.

  • People who call and saying they are being asked by the principal buyer to look around for properties. I always ask “where is the principal buyer?” or “can the principal buyer email me?” if they are out of the country or if the “principal buyer can call me up?” if they are here in the Philippines. I do respect the person on the other side of the phone but whether he / she is the relative or husband or wife but not the person who will produce the payment; I politely tell them the best way I can help them is if I can talk through the phone or email the principal buyer. But if they refuse to let me communicate with the principal buyer then I turned down their request for viewing. I told them it’s just a waste of time. Because more often if the principal buyer is out of the country chances are deal will not push through unless the one “providing the payment” sees what he / she is buying. Very rare you will see that a person will shelve out thousands of pesos or dollars without even seeing the product they are buying. Like us real estate agents, some of us are already married and would you buy something worth hundreds of thousands of pesos without your wife or husband seeing what you are buying? Or husband and wife seeing the property they are buying at the same time.
  • People who call and saying where is the exact location of the homes I’m selling. In my case since most of my listings is re-sale I don’t give the exact location and I just give a landmark. If the caller doesn’t want me to assist them then that’s fine I told them I won’t give the exact location because what’s the point of paying advertising if I will just give away the exact location and the buyer can go directly to the owner without me knowing it. This is a safe strategy. If you’re into re-sale always assist your client if possible because there are owners who does not honor “registered names” of potential buyers. But if you know the owner then by all means give the exact location.

This is the most important of all – Never alter your plans or your time with your family and loved ones. I will give you an example. Let’s say me and my family would go out on a Sunday (bonding time) if a potential buyer calls ahead of time lets say 5 days before our bonding time; probably I would re-schedule and we will go out Saturday instead of Sunday but if a caller call one day before our family bonding time I won’t change my schedule anymore and will tell the caller me and my family will go out. If the potential buyer still wants to see the house then we will schedule another time but if the caller will say Sunday is just their time, I will just tell them to look for another agent. It’s plain and simple if you want something you find time.

To my co - real estate agents don’t let your caller control your time and schedule. You are the boss of your time and no one else. Family and your loved ones first and believe me you have more sales coming.

As a real estate agent here in the Philippines here are some questions you might ask your potential buyer before scheduling a viewing. I would like to reiterate here it is still your call but my main point here is for you to avoid wasting your time for callers who are not really “immediate buyers”. I always asked these questions and if the caller will not met half of my questions then I don’t schedule a viewing or re-schedule a viewing at some point in time.

  1. Are you the Principal buyer?
  2. If yes, is there another decision maker aside from you?
  3. If yes, is the other decision maker here in the Philippines or out of the country?
  4. Are you looking for RFO (ready for occupancy) or pre – selling?
  5. What specific type of home are you looking for – single home, townhouse or condominium?
  6. If RFO – when is your target date of moving in?
  7. Is it possible both of you (other decision maker) to view at the same time (in case the other decision maker is here in the Philippines)
  8. What are the features are you looking for in a house; like open kitchen or a big master bed room and if these features are present are you buying it right away?

There are cases the other decision maker is here but the caller will say he / she has no time to view because he / she has work to do. In this case I tell the caller we will view the home you want ones the other decision maker has a time. If the caller will say they will just look for another agent, then that’s fine with me. Again my point here is I don’t want them to waste my time. Chances are if I entertained that caller he / she will say “I will tell my husband or wife then we will let you know” or “I will visit again with the other decision maker” – again waste of time and money.

Other questions you might ask

  1. Is this the first time you will look for a home or have you look at some homes? If yes, why did you not buy?
  2. If we find a home that fits your specific requirements would you reserve it now? If no, what is the reason?
  3. Are you familiar within the area you are inquiring and are you considering other areas
    1. Crucial questionnaire are the last 3 questions. If the caller can’t answer these questions clearly then don’t go for a viewing or your caller will just waste your time.

      If you have other questions that I haven’t included here, feel free to ask your caller (potential buyer)

      Always remember don’t be shy asking hard questions – this is neither a sin nor a crime.

      To my co- real estate agents here in the Philippines avoid people wasting your time and money. Enjoy your selling career!

      Is your mindset attune to your goals as a real estate agent

      If you like this article please leave a COMMENT below

      SHARE THIS post with your Facebook and Twitter account

1 comment:

  1. Great detailed information, I ll be visiting you more frequently, here is very interesting information

    Advance Commission & Real Estate Commission Advance Loans

    ReplyDelete